Tomato Basil Soup
The PERFECT “soup and sandwich” soup. A quick, easy and DELICIOUS lunch or dinner soup that can be thrown together in a jiff! My kids LOVE IT with homemade grilled cheese “croutons” (a grilled cheese sandwich cut into small pieces and dropped into the soup)!
- 3 tablespoons Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 28oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 15oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
In a medium size stock pot on medium heat, saute onions in Tuscan Herb Olive Oil until translucent. Add freshly minced garlic and saute for an additonal minute. Add tomatoes, Himalayan Sea Salt, freshly ground black pepper, dried oregano and DRIED basil. Stir well and cook until tender.
Place the cooked mixture into a blender and blend well. Pour back into stock pot. Add chicken broth. Reheat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add half and half, stir well. Add chopped basil, stir well. Serve hot.