French Onion Soup with Tuscan Croutons
Sundays are for SOUP – and this one is one of our FAVORITES! Straight from the kitchen of our very own Karly! Seriously the BEST French Onion Soup recipe and SO easy too!
- For soup:
- 4 cups sliced yellow onions (about 6 medium onions)
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 Tbsp Better than Bouillon, Beef Base
- 3 Tbsp of butter
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Browning & Seasoning Sauce
- 2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 cups shredded Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese
- For croutons:
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2-3 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- Garlic salt, onion powder and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out prepared French loaf. Drizzle with Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and season with garlic salt, onion powder and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 15 minutes (turning half way through), set aside.
Add 3 Tbsp of butter and 2 Tbsp of Tuscan Herb Olive Oil to a 8 quart stock pot. Heat to medium-low and sauté onions until golden brown (stirring often to make sure they don’t burn). Add brown sugar, browning sauce, Himalayan Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sauté on low for about 10 minutes. Stir in 3 Tbsp flour and sauté for an additional 5 minutes (allowing the flour to fry a bit). Add the dry white wine and Better than Bouillon Beef Base, stir well. Add water, bay leaves and fresh thyme sprigs. Bring soup to a low boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40-45 minutes.
When soup is done, add a couple of croutons to the bottom of an oven-safe soup crock. Pour soup over croutons and top with Gruyere cheese. Bake in oven at 400 degrees until cheese is melted. Top with extra croutons.